This is just a quick post so I can do my SP9 questionnaire:
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? -> I'm not really picky when it comes to yarn, although I will say that I really hate itchy things, I don't mind wool but if it's extremely picky and itchy I tend not to use it [unless it is going to be used for felting]
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? -> I made myself one of those roll up needle holders when I first started to knit, it is now completely full and I've started to put my needles in a cup - which is not a good thing, I think anyway. For my circulars I don't really have any idea where to put them, I've been wanting to make one of those hanging things for a while now, but never got around to it. I also just picked up some clear protective sheets in hopes of copying a circular needle holder, I'm hoping those in a binder will do just fine.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? -> I've been knitting for a little over 2 years now I think. I taught myself one summer, I had taken a class when I was in middle school, but never kept up with it and I decided to teach myself the ropes! I definetly don't think I am advanced per say, but I'm not a beginner, would an advanced intermediate knitter work? I always like to give myself a challenge so I tend to not look at the levels on patterns
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? -> No, :-( No wish lists here - I tend to just buy a yarn if I like it in the store
5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.) -> I think I would have to be an apple person. I absolutely love Yankee Candle's Macintosh scent, their butter cream is good too, and the pumpkin pie! yum! I do like other fruity scents like kiwi, honey dew melon, strawberry, etc.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? -> Hah! I am the girl who couldn't go to the dentist without having at least one cavity until she was 12 - when I got braces. Ahhh i LOVE candy - my favorite I would have to say are: Resee's, Fast Breaks, and mainly just chocolate! yummm
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin? -> I do quite a bit of sewing, a little bit of scrapbooking here and there, but mainly knitting and sewing. I don't spin though I would love to learn how, or at least try it once.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) -> I like all kinds of music, heavy metal/rock gets on my nerves though. I like: Shakira, Justin Timberlake, a lot of techno music, and I pretty much just listen to whatever is on the radio, or my iPod - there is actually a lot of N*SYNC on that - hah, an oldie but a goodie I think :-)
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand? -> My favorite colors would have to be soft yellow, and pink. There aren't really any colors that i hate or can't stand, neon ones give me a headache sometimes but other than that, they're pretty much all okay in my mind.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? -> I live with my mom and sister (I'm only 16) and I have one cat, who is nudered and is an indoor cat.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? -> I love scarves and mittens, I am not a big hat fan, and not so much with the ponchos. I haven't knit any mittens yet, but I will.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? -> I don't really have a favorite item to knit, I sort of jump around and knit everything. My newest thing is socks, I would love to get some of that Opal rainforest sock yarn, or a plain white sock yarn so I can try my hand at dyeing. I've knit scarves, bags, sweaters [ok, so they're still UFO's but it's alright] socks, dishcloths.. I tend to have a lot of 'plans' for projects but never enough time - hah, don't we all.
13. What are you knitting right now? -> Right now I have a cabled scarf, 2 sweaters, 2 pairs of socks, and an afghan going on all at once - at least I think that is everything, I probably have more somewhere in my room or around the house but I keep looking over it. It drives my mom crazy, but I just remind her that I could be spending my pay checks on worse things than yarn, especially at 16.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? -> Who doesn't is more like the question?! I love handmade gifts, it makes it all the more special to receive. Anybody can go and buy that purple sweater in the mall, but when you make one for someone it is one-of-a-kind
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? ->I have a lot of straight needles, but I really do enjoy the bamboo circulars better, they just don't get in the way as much, and make it way more easier to knit in crowded places.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? -> NO! I keep putting money aside to buy myself a ball winder but then I usually find yarn [or fabric, or a book] and spend it. I would love to have a ball winder, and a swift would be nice too, although I must say I don't usually buy that many hanks, though I would like to get into dyeing my own yarn - don't those come in handy for that?
17. How old is your oldest UFO? -> That would definetly be my patchwork afghan. I started that when I first taught myseld how to knit. I haven't finished even one set of squares. I think it's mainly because I get bored doing the same thing over and over, 6 different times - but then again I could sit here and make excuses all day for projects that I have left unfinished
18. What is your favorite holiday? -> I am a large fan of Halloween and Christmas, and my birthday! :-)
19. Is there anything that you collect? -> Other than yarn for my stash, not really! Just kidding, there isn't really anything that I collect, but I am always looking for more yarn, or fabric for that matter, I am trying to get into quilting, I've made one but thats it.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? -> I am dying to get my hands on one of those top down raglan patterns with the buttons on the side, over near the shoulder, I've googled and asked and although everybody has been making them nobody seems to know where to get the pattern. I am only subscribed to the Knit 1 magazine. As far as yarn goes, I would like to get some dyeable yarn, either for socks, or any weight it doesn't really matter.
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn? -> Hmmm, I would like to learn how to cast on for a toe-up sock. I have a pattern but just can't get the cast on to work right. I can't think of anything else at the moment, though I might later.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? -> I've only knit those pedicure socks from Knitty for my mom, and I am just starting a pair for myself, as far as foot measurements, uhm.. I am a size US 9 if that helps any :-)
23. When is your birthday? (mm/dd) -> June 30 - I'm a summer baby
About 5 minutes ago I finished the Pedicure Socks for my mom! She loves them. I put off finishing them because my cat had run off with the fourth needle that I needed to use, but when I cleaned my room today I found it. I'm so glad she likes them. They were supposed to be a Christmas present, but I couldnt wait.
Today kicks off Socktober Fest 2006! I wish that my cat wouldn't have ran off with the fourth needle for my mom's pair of pedicure socks. I don't have another paird of 7 dpns and don't have the money to buy more.. which means as of the moment I cannot finish them .
I also need to go somewhere to figure out how to cast on with the figure 8 way, so i can do my toe up ankle socks.
In midst of the Fall Cable KAL 2006 I casted on for Hello Yarn's Besotted Scarf. I'm using some of the verigated ribbony yarn I got when the old Jo-Ann store closed, so far it looks really cool. For the cable KAL I'm also working on my central park hoodie I started last week.
That's all the knitting news I have, between work and school I don't have much time to do anything, but I'm trying to find a happy balance.