Monday, July 31, 2006

Lately I've been spending more time (and money!) buying knitting supplies than actually knitting

There's not much new s about knitting and what not, but here's what i have:

Even after I bought all that yarn I post about... I went back in for work the next day and bought more! I couldn't resit it.. some of the yarn was a really good deal. Like 100% wool, 33 cents a skeing?! How can you pass that up? I also got a bunch of pattern books, which should come in handy to use up all the yarn I bought.


Another good buy.. there was a garage sale last weekend. I stopped with my mom, and there was a box of knitting needles. Now I've been wanting to make socks, but haven't had the time or money to go buy DPNs ... I found some in the box, and I was looking at sizes and quality, etc. The man who was running the sale came over and said you have to buy the whole box, not just one thing. Anyway, when I got home and went through the needles, just the DPNs .. there were circulars and straights as well. there were sizes 1 through 10 1/2 with about 3 pairs of each! and that was just the DPNs... I've yet to go through the circulars or straights, but I definetly got my moneys worth seeing as how the only box only cost $10!


I've started my second skein on my Branching Out scarf. At first I was a little upset that I would have to weave in yarn in the middle of my scarf, but lucky for me I was watching and episode of Knitty Gritty while I was working on it. There was a 'knit bit' about how to join animal fiber yarns while in the middle of a garment. All you do is moisten the end of the yarn you've come to an end to, and the end of the yarn you are going to join. Over lap them and rub them together in your palms .. like you would do to make a 'snake' out of clay. In a minute or two they are joined together.. almost felted together if you will, it worked for me. And that made me very happy because it saved me about a foot of yarn!


I've started to think of what I'm making for christmas presents this year. I think for my sister I am going to make her a Branching Out scarf seeing as how she keeps bugging me to have the one I'm making now. For my mom I think I am going to make the criss cross scarf featured in an episode of Knitty Gritty. And for my sister's fiance I am going to make him a beanie hat. Always good to be prepared right? It's not like I don't have enough yarn!!


Other then that I haven't got much news. It's been hot here.. a little too hot to work with yarn, tomorrow is supposed to feel like 120F!!!! So I don't know how much knitting I will be getting done this week, that temperature is supposed to stay all week.



In non-knitting news: I got my driver's permit!! My mom has taken me driving.. I started out in parking lots, just to get the feel of the car and then I drove around in a plat so I was on a road, but not with much traffic. Tomorrow I have to go to work with my mom and she is going to let me drive there! I am excited, but a little nervous too. I haven't driven on a real road yet, and I think I've gone barely over 20mph at the most. I'm a little nervous after getting in that accident with my grandfather.. coming home from my first day at Driver's Ed.


That's all for now...

Happy Knitting, Crafting, and Staying Cool In The Summer Heat!

No comments: